Monday, July 15, 2013

ephemera

Testimony before Congress of Defense Secretary Georg Wilhelm Friedrich "Chuck" Hegel.

Q: Mr. Secretary, can you tell us how you think the sequester will affect your department?

A: Well, the Owl of Minerva flys only at dusk, if you catch my drift, so I won't be able to say much about that until later.

Q: Mr. Secretary, you've been called an  Idealist. Are you?

A: Absolutely, absolutely.

Q: (Senator Sanders): To follow up, Mr. Secretary: you seem to be standing on your head - Would you mind if I turned you right-side up?

A: Sorry?

Q: Never mind. Could you tell us what your broad strategy for US defense policy will be?

 A: Well, I thought I'd just let Spirit Actualize itself  and go from there.

Q: How much will that cost?

A: I hate to bring the old Owl up again, but I'll get back to you.

Q: Thank you, Mr. Secretary.

A. Thank you. It's been Real, It's been Rational.

3 comments:

Sandwichman said...

Didn't he say something about all the big spectacles and very important people in history appearing twice?

kevin quinn said...

Are you thinking about Marx's 18th Brunaire : History repeats itself-the first time tragedy, the second farce?

Sandwichman said...

You got it. In the 18th, "Groucho" Marx attributes the idea to "Chuck" Hegel.